Friday, April 12, 2024

Looks Like We're Still Here ~

And speeding closer to the big wedding day 😍

In 308 days, Kimmie and Dustin will be married in the wedding of their dreams and God's design.  I am certainly excited for my daughter, who has known abandonment and struggled with feeling worthy of love, to fully soak in all the love and adoration of Dustin.  He truly is the physical representation of the man I prayed God would set apart for Kimmie.  God is ALWAYS faithful to hear us - even when the answer is NO or WAIT.  But when the answer is YES - He holds nothing back.  What an awesome God I serve and love 💖

When reflecting on what we have experienced, I am reminded of all the times God has carried us, provided for us, protected us, and drawn us under His Wings. Kimmie and I have memories that still creep up to try and snare us in the trap of sadness, but we have far more Light shining around us that illuminates the path we walk on.  These are happy days - even in the knowledge that Christ could return and bring us to our eternal home.  Yes, there is joy in that future too.  

Planning for our eternal home should be filled with expectation and obedience - just as with any other event we anticipate with excitement, like a wedding, a birth, a graduation, and such without the huge price tag because Christ has already paid the price for us to enter in.  The challenge for us is to remain steadfast with our faith walk when trials come and the path narrows even more.  We must remember to always keep our eyes fixed on Him and not look down or to ourselves or man.  The traps can snare us much more quickly when we do not stay fixed on God through His Son, Jesus.  As John 3:16-17 says, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved."

Currently at the church I attend, we are studying the Book of Hebrews and just began walking through chapter 2.  This chapter speaks about the danger of drifting away when we are not anchored in Christ.  Much like a boat poorly moored to a temporary post or dock that can come loose and drift off if not watched attentively, Christians can also drift if attention is taken away from our obedient fellowship with Christ.  I love how God uses imagery with me when showing me something about His character and love for me.  For example, the image of a boat tied up (see image):


Now the image of a boat that has drifted off:


I think of the account in God's Word when the disciples were at sea when a storm began to toss them about - this was after Jesus fed the masses with just five loaves and two fish - and Peter was called out to meet Christ on the water but, just when he was walking on the water he was overcome with doubt (took his eyes off of Christ Jesus) and began to sink.  I ask you to think for a moment about what could have possibly been the cause to divert Peter's eyes from Jesus.  Could it have been a thought about being unworthy?  A sense of being too weak to press forward in the storm?  Many times I have faced my own storms and struggled/wrestled with my human tendency to question those things in myself.  Once my eyes are not on Him, I sink down and drift.  When I turn my eyes back to Him, I am lifted and, once again, strengthened to keep moving onward to the prize of the high calling He has on me.  Truly, there is no safer place than in the arms of my Savior.  He is my Anchor, my Compass, my Healer, my Friend.

Another lesson from Hebrews 2 is that there is nothing better than drawing near and having relationship with Him.  It is secure. It is profitable. It is a foretaste of what awaits the obedient servant.  I'd much rather be anchored to Christ than set adrift to navigate the uncertain waters of life.  As Proverbs 3:5a says, "Trust in the Lord" and furthermore, He will make our path straight - or in this case, calm the winds and seas.  Trusting in and of itself is a calming action on our part.  Once we give our troubles over, there is a peace that passes understanding that falls on us.  I speak of what I know personally here - so give grace if that is not something you can also claim.  

Lastly, through trusting my Savior and staying anchored to Him, I can experience joy and have it to the full - in all things.  I may not know with exact date when He will come back, but I can still have joy for all the blessings He continues to give me: a wedding in February, good health, a sound mind, a content heart, and perhaps grandchildren.  I can only see so far into the hoped future - things I can strive for.  The rest is in His hands and I will continue to hold to hope and draw ever nearer to Him.

Nearer, my God, to thee, nearer to thee!
E'en though it be a cross that raiseth me,
Still all my song shall be,
Nearer, my God, to thee;
Nearer, my God, to thee, nearer to thee!

Though like the wanderer,
The sun gone down,
Darkness be over me, my rest a stone;
Yet in my dreams I'd be
Nearer, my God, to thee;
Nearer, my God, to thee, nearer to thee!

There let the way appear,
Steps unto heaven;
All that thou sendest me, in mercy given;
Angels to beckon me
Nearer, my God, to thee;
Nearer, my God, to thee, nearer to thee!

Then, with my waking thoughts bright with thy praise,
Out of my stony griefs Bethel I'll raise;
So by my woes to be
Nearer, my God, to thee;
Nearer, my God, to thee, nearer to thee!

Or if, on joyful wing cleaving the sky,
Sun, moon, and stars forgot, upward I fly,
Still all my song shall be,
Nearer, my God, to thee;
Nearer, my God, to thee, nearer to thee!

Yes, looks like we're still here ~

Be blessed and be a blessing,

WSW

No comments:

Post a Comment